Among the inflammatory diseases of the urogenital system, cystitis occupies a special place. Very often, the disease affects pregnant women whose immunity is under severe stress due to the situation. Treating cystitis during pregnancy is key to the health of the woman and the unborn child.
Why is cystitis dangerous during pregnancy?
Pyelonephritis is the most dangerous and common complication of advanced cystitis. This condition requires mandatory hospitalization and hospitalization. Of particular concern to expectant mothers is the question of whether cystitis can be dangerous to a child.
Consequences for the child
Although the fetus is reliably protected from external infections by the amniotic sac, with its advanced form of cystitis, the child has the following consequences:
- Premature birth or miscarriage.
- Water leak.
- Intrauterine infections.
Consequences for a woman
It is important to understand that without treatment, cystitis becomes a chronic form that is difficult to get rid of. Possible consequences include:
- bladder damage;
- inflammation of the mucous membranes;
- difficulty urinating;
- bladder empyema;
- ulcerative cystitis.
Chronic or acute cystitis in the early stages of pregnancy, if left untreated, will cause severe pathologies in a woman and trigger preterm birth in the later stages.
Symptoms of the disease
The most common and noticeable symptoms of cystitis during pregnancy include:
- Turbid or pink discoloration of the urine.
- Presence of mucus or blood droplets in the urine.
- Pain while urinating. Particularly severe cramps occur in women at the end of urination.
- Constant urge to empty the bladder. Sometimes such urges are false or involve only the release of a few drops of urine.
- Pain in the bladder that gets worse when you press the area.
Sometimes the symptoms of cystitis during pregnancy are confused with the physiological changes associated with uterine pressure on the bladder. It is important to monitor your feelings and visit a gynecologist in a timely manner who can make the correct diagnosis.
Cystitis therapy in pregnant women consists of a complex of medications, each of which is selected exclusively by the attending physician. In this case, the doctor will consider how much the benefits of the therapy outweigh the potential risks to the fetus. During therapy, a woman should be monitored by a gynecologist and tested regularly. Only in this case can cystitis be completely cured.
Early cystitis therapy
It is important to understand that the earlier treatment begins, the better the outcome will be. Treatment of cystitis in pregnant women includes the following:
- taking medications;
- adherence to the drinking order;
- appointment of a special diet;
- use of folk recipes and techniques.
The first week
Cystitis can be confused with the manifestations of pregnancy in the early stages, especially in the first week, so many women ignore the onset of the disease until it becomes chronic or complications occur. The fact is that with the onset of pregnancy, the enlarged uterus begins to press on the bladder, causing a feeling of overflow and urge to urinate. However, inflammation, pain, and burns complement this symptom.
If cystitis is detected in the first week of pregnancy, experts will try to find "soft" therapy. The main methods are:
- Prescribing medications. Basically, natural-based uroseptics are preferred.
- Adherence to the drinking order.
- Adherence to personal hygiene.
If the pregnancy can be terminated, the 1st trimester of which is complicated by cystitis, the woman is hospitalized.
In the first trimester
As in all other cases, therapy for the disease begins with a diagnosis that allows the pathogen of the inflammation to be identified. The doctor then selects the treatment regimen. It is important to understand that you should be extremely careful in choosing medications at an early stage because of the high risk of miscarriage. In general, the activities are practically no different from those appointed in the first week. Bladder inflammation in the first trimester should not be ignored.
Remember:self-treatment of cystitis during pregnancy is unacceptable, especially with the use of pharmaceuticals. Such measures pose an immediate threat to the life of the unborn child.
Disease therapy in later stages
Careful selection of medications is important during the third trimester as well as the first weeks. Some of them may contain substances that can trigger uterine contractions. The treatment regimen in the later stages is as follows:
- taking antibacterial drugs;
- adherence to the drinking order;
- use of plant-based uroseptics;
- appointment of analgesics and antispasmodics if necessary.
In some cases, a woman is offered to go to the hospital in order to minimize the risk of complications.
How to treat
In order to get rid of the disease, it is mandatory to use:
- Complementary medications such as painkillers or antispasmodics.
- Traditional medicine.
Important:the selection of drugs during pregnancy is made solely by a physician based on an examination. If a professional offers a woman hospital treatment, do not rule out this option in any way.
Medication during pregnancy consists of combining several groups of drugs at the same time. This measure not only allows the destruction of the pathogenic microflora, but also minimizes the risk of relapse. Before starting therapy, be sure to see your doctor, who will tell you what you can take and why you should stay.
Suppression of the pathogenic microflora in cystitis and faster healing, antibiotics are needed during pregnancy. In addition, they are irreplaceable if a woman gets worse in cystitis. Medicines with minimal side effects are usually preferred during childbearing.
Antibiotics can also be prescribed in the form of suspensions, powders, and tablets for cystitis during pregnancy.
Remember:the dose of the drug and the duration of treatment will be determined by a person skilled in the art. It is important to follow your doctor’s recommendations and complete the prescribed course completely, even if the feeling of cystitis is gone, as microorganisms develop drug resistance if antibiotics are used incorrectly.
The most preferred drug during pregnancy. These products have minimal side effects and can be used throughout pregnancy. They work well with antibiotics and can increase their effectiveness.
Phytopreparations have the following properties:
Due to its natural composition, a long course of the drug is required to achieve the full therapeutic effect. In acute form, phytopreparations are drunk for at least 2-3 weeks. The dose is determined by a doctor who knows how to treat cystitis in pregnant women.
In pregnant women, suppositories can be prescribed during pregnancy, both in the early stages and in the last trimester. Such drugs are safer than antibiotics in tablet form because they do not affect the function of the gastrointestinal tract. In addition, they are quickly absorbed into the bloodstream and begin to act.
Basically, traditional medicine for pregnant women suggests that herbal decoctions be used as therapeutic agents. Common recipes include:
- Rosehip decoction. To do this, pour 3 tablespoons of rosehips with a glass of boiling water and cook in a steam bath for about 10-15 minutes. The soup should then be cooked for 20 minutes, filtered and taken 3-4 times a day with a ½ cup.
- Tea from black currant leaves. You can drink from cystitis at any time. For a drink you will need 9 tablespoons of currant leaves and 1. 5 liters of boiling water. The tea is infused for 30-40 minutes and then drunk all day.
- Cranberry juice. A glass of fresh blueberries requires 1. 5 liters of boiling water. The berries are crushed in advance, then poured with water and infused for 30 minutes. You can add a spoonful of honey to the fruit drink to taste. The drink is consumed all day.
- Chamomile baths. Prepare a decoction or infusion based on chamomile, to which is added 1. 5 liters of warm water. Usually 1. 5 liters of broth requires the same amount of water. The liquid is poured into a bath and we sit in it for 15-20 minutes. The water temperature should not be too hot as this can cause uterine contractions. Bathing is not recommended during the first trimester of pregnancy.
Important:the use of alternative therapies during pregnancy is permitted only after prior consultation with the treating physician.
Acute cystitis during pregnancy
The acute form of the disease usually occurs suddenly and is characterized by severe symptoms. Factors such as:
- decreased immunity and hormonal disorders during childbearing;
- predisposition to allergic reactions;
- compression of veins and blood vessels in the bladder. In pregnant women, this reason is most common because an enlarged uterus compresses urine
- bladder, interferes with whole blood flow;
- overload, typical of pregnant women;
- mechanical stress is another cause typical of pregnant women, which puts pressure on the bladder.
To determine if you are facing this form of the disease, the following symptoms allow pregnant women to:
- Constant urge to go to the toilet.
- Pain in the lower part, worse when pressed.
- Blood marks in the urine.
- Rise in body temperature to 38 degrees.
- A watery stream with an unpleasant odor.
Chronic cystitis during pregnancy
The main cause of chronic cystitis in pregnant women is acute cystitis, which has not yet been completely cured. In this case, a woman is worried about the following signs of cystitis during pregnancy:
- frequent desire to use the toilet;
- pain while urinating;
- pain in the lower abdomen;
- false urge to use the toilet.
Chronic cystitis occurs out of season when women’s immunity declines. However, relapses of the disease are much more common during pregnancy.
The main risk of chronic cystitis is an increased risk of inflammation in the kidneys. In this case, pyelonephritis develops which, if left untreated, leads to disability and even death. In addition, serious complications can occur during childbirth, including such complications and infection of the baby during passage through the birth canal.
During pregnancy, the inflammatory process affecting the urogenital system poses a direct threat not only to the mother but also to the unborn child. Disease therapy during this period is performed under the supervision of a specialist. It is important to know exactly how to properly treat cystitis during pregnancy!